Organic Moroccan-Style Stuffed Acorn Squash

I recently tried Space Girl Organics, an organic produce delivery in Central Florida, where you order a weekly box of organic fruits and vegetables that are in season. They are shipped to your door and ready to consume.

I wanted a variety of veggies and fruits I don't normally buy so I can try new recipes, and low and behold, I received an acorn squash. I have never purchased squash nor did I know what to do with it. So my hubby, being the foodie he is, found an awesome recipe that, of course, I tweaked, and it came out delish. So I'm sharing =)



Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons of organic raw sugar (I didn't end up using all of it so I would try less)
  • 1 tablespoon of organic butter (if you're going cheap and not buying organic, make sure the butter is NOT hydrogenated oil!)
  • 2 large acorn squash, halved and seeded (SAVE the seeds...I'll show you later)
  • 2 tablespoons EVOO
  • 5 cloves of garlic, chopped (I love garlic!)
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 1 cup garbanzo beans, drained
  • 1 1/2 cup of raisins
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
  • Himalayan or Sea Salt and Pepper for taste
  • 14 ounces of organic vegetable broth (or chicken)
  • 1 cup uncooked organic couscous
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

2. Arrange squash halves cut side down on a baking sheet. Bake 30 minutes, or until tender. Dissolve the sugar in the melted butter. Brush squash with the butter mixture, and keep squash warm while preparing the stuffing.

3. Heat the EVOO in a skilled over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and carrots, and cook for 5 minutes. Mix in the garbanzo beans and raisins. Season with cumin, salt and pepper, and continue to cook and stir until vegetables are tender.

4. Pour the vegetable broth into the skillet, and mix in the couscous. Cover skillet and turn off heat. Allow couscous to absorb liquid for 5 minutes. Stuff squash halves with the skillet mixture to serve.

Prep: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes

Easy, healthy and delicious meal! Inspired by http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/50096/moroccan-style-stuffed-acorn-squash but tweaked to my style =)

Now those seeds you saved...quick easy snack. Separate the seeds from the squash gunk and lay them on the baking sheet with the squash halves. Put some salt and chili powder on and leave them in the oven for about 10-15 minutes. Take them out and enjoy!

Stay healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment