|Image Source: BU Today|
Water, one of the most important elements in life and something we cannot live without. You would think all water is clean...or at least should be. The problem lies in the fact that we have pretty much polluted our lakes, streams, oceans, rivers and every other source of water.
With this contamination comes the need to "clean" it. How do we think everything needs to get cleaned? Through high intensity chemical compounds that kill bacteria and quite a bit more along the way, including good bacteria in our own bodies.
Let me digress for a moment to make a point. If you accidentally spill chlorine or bleach on a carpet, what does it do? It stains it and leaves a mark exactly where it fell. For the sake of making my point, I looked up ways to clean bleach or chlorine stains.
Options (excuse my sarcasm):
1. Alcohol (but they strongly suggested it would maybe work on small stains, definitely not large ones)
2. Dye or dye remover (chemicals on chemicals - excellent)
3. Markers (since nothing can really be done, lets color it the color it should have been)
4. Bleach (this one almost made me laugh...the objective: lighten the whole stinkin' carpet because you ruined it anyways)
So let me ask you, why do we use these products in our water? Even more frightening, why do we bathe in it, willingly?
Well, we drink it because it's what is available to us.
How does it affect us???
Allergies and Asthma
Food allergies has become increasingly common amongst all ages. Now, a new study has provided proof that links pesticides to tap water.
Where I digressed earlier now may make a little more sense. There is a kind of chlorine called dichlorophenols, known to kill bacteria. It has been found in people's urine and can be killing the naturally occurring bacteria we have in our digestive system, thus causing food allergies.
Let me explain that bacteria is NOT BAD! We need bacteria in our bodies. It is what helps keep our immune system responsive and helps defend from invaders. We need some bad bacteria, but when the good is killed off, the bad can overpower leading to neurotoxicity, immune disorders, cancer, inflammation, cardiovascular problems...and the list goes on.
In Tap Water Pesticides Linked to Allergies, Sydney Lupkin states the following:
This new study is not implying that food allergies and asthma are only derived from pesticide exposure in water. There are a myriad of other issues at hand, including a proper diet, but there may be a very strong link to the fact that our water contamination is really affecting the immune and digestive system of a new generation."The number of children and teens with food or digestive allergies in the United States has increased 18 percent between 1997 and 2007, according to a 2008 study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. That's about 3 million people under 18 years old. Eggs, fish, milk, peanuts, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat make up 90 percent of food allergies, according to the CDC report. Symptoms can range from mouth tingling to anaphylaxis, which is the swelling of the throat and tongue and can lead to death."
Here's a really crappy video with really great information on this subject:
So is there a way to avoid these pesticides in our water or at least limit the exposure? Yes!
Not altogether, but with a really great filtration system that also is a water ionizer, it is possible to remove the majority.
We personally have a filter that removes all chlorine and fluoride for our shower and sink. It's worth the small investment for health!