These are a few key things that diabetics can do to add a natural treatment:
- Diet for Diabetes. A healthy diet can help prevent and control diabetes. Choose a diet rich in lean protein, fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, and fiber. Reduce or remove consumption if refined grains and sugar, which make blood sugar control more difficult. I know this is difficult, especially during the holidays, but keep your well being in mind.
- Exercise is Essential. It helps improve circulation, helps control body weight and may even improve blood sugar control.
- Daily Multivitamin for Health. A good multi is important for everyone since even the healthiest eaters don't always get every nutrient necessary. (I always recommend New Chapter or Garden of Life multi's since they are made with organic whole foods and herbs and don't contain sugar). In the case of diabetes, there are increased needs for nutrients because there may be impaired metabolism, loss of nutrients through frequent urination, and loss of nutrients due to medication.
- Supplemental Support. Any of these recommendations must be discussed with your health care practitioner if you have diabetes. Blood sugar may also be monitored while on natural treatments. Here are some of the best supplements for diabetes:
- Chromium is an essential trace mineral that helps improve function of insulin. Studies have shown that this helps stabilize blood sugar levels.
- Cinnamon may help decrease levels of blood sugar, cholesterol, and blood fats (bonus: it can help you lose weight)
- Alpha Lipoic Acid is a powerful antioxidant in the body that is protective to the nerve cells.