Eggplant Parmesan

This was my first time making eggplant anything. In fact, prior to buying the eggplant at the farmer's market I had never tried eggplant or had the slightest inkling to do so. But I can't pass up a freshly harvested vegetable.

So, after asking on Facebook, the overwhelming response was: Eggplant Parmesan.

Here's exactly (well I didn't really measure, but you catch my drift) what I did:

1 small eggplant (I used several small organic ones)
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon of water
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil
1/3 cup grated fresh Italian Parmesan cheese
1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce (mine had a little bit of mushroom)
3/4 cup shredded mozarella cheese (3 ounces)

1. Wash and peel the eggplant (I left skin on mine and it tasted great, but easier if you take it off); cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices. Combine egg and water; dip eggplant slices into egg mixture, then into the flour, turning to coat both sides. In a large skillet cook the eggplant, half at a time, in hot grapeseed oil for 4 to 6 minutes or until golden, turning once (see image on left). Drain on a paper towel.

2. Place eggplant slices in single layer in an ungreased rectangular baking dish (if necessary, cut slices to fit). Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Top with spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered in a 400°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until heated through.

Before you know it, you have a quick, delicious, healthy vegetarian meal. Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment